TN Visa Approval – Mathematician (Slot Game Designer Job / Engineering Degree)
- The applicant, a citizen of Canada, had been offered a job as a Slot Game Designer for a global gaming developer.
- I reviewed the position offered, and although the job title was not entirely indicative of such a role, based on the position’s job duties we believed the position could be classified under the Mathematician TN category.
- Additionally, while the applicant did not possess a degree in Mathematics, I believed that he still could qualify under the Mathematician TN visa category.
Job title / duties:
- The duties of the Slot Game Designer position involved utilizing math and probability techniques to create math models for the employer’s casino-style slot games played on social media platforms.
- As the job title was not indicative of a Mathematician role, in my cover letter to USCBP I described how Mathematicians work on the development of casino games and included extensive career and industry publications to support this claim.
- I also highlighted that Mathematicians working in this area went by different job titles including Game Designer and similar variations.
- The applicant possessed degrees in Electrical Engineering, and had over 12 years of related experience. As with any case where the applicant does not possess a degree directly in the TN occupational category, it was imperative to establish how the applicant qualified under the Mathematician TN visa category.
- To establish eligibility, in my cover letter to USCBP I highlighted the applicant's Mathematics coursework completed during his degree programs and included his transcripts in the application.
- I also included proof of his experience working in the field (i.e. a reference letter from a prior employer).
- I then supplemented the application with research establishing that a degree in Mathematics was not required for a Mathematician position, and that individuals with degrees in a related field such as Engineering could also qualify.
- TN visa status application @ USCBP - Buffalo, NY POE
- Approved same day filed
- 3 years
Statements regarding prior application approvals our office has obtained are provided for informational purposes only.
Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.