Pursuing a U.S. green card while under TN visa status can not only be challenging, but also dangerous if a full assessment of eligibility is not made, and potential issues not analyzed prior to beginning the application. Citizens of Canada and Mexico interested in learning more about their U.S. permanent residence (green card) options while under TN visa status should consider our extensive consultation services.
WHAT DOES THE CONSULT INVOLVE?
Our TN visa to green card consultation service consists of two aspects. First, prior to the consultation, we review and assess an individual's TN visa status and prospective green card application in detail. Second, we then have a lengthy conversation with the individual to present our analysis and recommendation. For employment-based green card applications, we are also available to advise employers on the process of filing a green card application on behalf of a TN visa worker.
The typical format of a consultation consists of:
- Fact gathering / discussion of background, credentials, immigration history, etc.
- An overview of U.S. immigration followed by an outline of the green card application process.
- An analysis of the individual's eligibility for pursuing a green card while under TN visa status, potential issues, filing procedures, etc.
- Questions & Answers
- Fee quote for any proposed green card application services
Consultations can take place over the phone or in person at our offices. When possible, we do not place a time limit on the length of the consultation. Most consultations last approximately 1-hour.
ISSUES DISCUSSED DURING CONSULT
Some of the issues discussed during the consultation will include:
- Review of immigration history, credentials and job offer for employment-based cases, and family relationship for family-based cases.
- Explanation of basic U.S. immigration system: family vs. employment; non-immigrant vs. immigrant.
- General overview of green card process based on employment or family sponsorship.
- Verification that the individual is not inadmissible to the U.S. and as result ineligible for a green card.
- Analysis and discussion on the appropriate green card category (e.g. employment-based preferences, immediate relative, or family-based preferences).
- Analysis and discussion on the stages involved in the application process (e.g. PERM / I-140 for employment cases, I-130 / I-864 for family cases, and adjustment of status vs. immigrant visa processing).
- Explanation of process, risks involved, and best practices for filing a green card application while under TN visa status.
- Review of potential issues unique to the TN visa (e.g. potential travel restrictions, employment authorization gaps, or preconceived intent concerns).
- Recommendations to ensure continued maintenance of TN visa status during green card application.
- Discussion of employer obligations when sponsoring an individual for a green card.
Scope of BASIC TN to GREEN CARD CONSULT & FEE
Our fee for a basic consultation for a TN visa to green card application is $250 (to be paid in advance of the consult). In the event you decide to retain our firm to prepare your application or perform any additional legal services, the consult fee may be credited toward your legal bill. A legal fee quote for any additional services will be provided after the consultation.
Please note that our consultation service only involves a review of your case as described above. Our office does not review previously prepared immigration application documents not yet submitted to U.S. immigration officials. Read about our green card application services.