Before submitting an application for TN visa status, individuals should first confirm that they meet the basic TN visa eligibility requirements. There are 5 main requirements for TN visa status.
- Only citizens of Canada or Mexico are eligible for TN visa status.
- An individual must be sponsored by an employer in order to obtain TN visa status.
- As self-employment is prohibited, an individual may not self-petition for TN visa status.
3. Activities for U.S. Entity:
- An individual may be eligible for TN visa status only if he/she is performing business activities for a U.S. entity in 1 of the 63 professional occupations listed in NAFTA.
- An applicant must possess the appropriate educational credentials, and in some cases experience, requirements for the applicable TN visa occupation.