The following documents are U.S. immigration issued memos and correspondence discussing various aspects of the TN visa (or its predecessor the TC visa) classification. Please be aware that some information in these documents may no longer be up-to-date due to changes in the law or policy.
- USCIS, Guidance on TN Category for Economist (2017)
- USCBP, NAFTA TN Eligibility Checklist (2014)
- DOS Memo: TD Visas for Same-Sex Spouses of TN Visa Workers (08-2013).
- USCIS Notice: New I-129 Filing Option - Canadians (9-28-2012) - Discusses new rule allowing Canadians to file an I-129 petition for TN visa status from outside the U.S.
- CBP Memo: TN Visa Processing - Canadians (12-23-11) - General information on TN visa application processing for Canadian citizens.
- Morris Letter: TNs & Immigrant Intent (03-21-08) – Discusses effects of pending green card application on TN visa status.
- USCIS Employment Bulletin: NAFTA (2005) – overview of TN visa classification.
- Hrinyak Memo: Licensure (10-26-04) - Licenses are not a mandatory documentary requirement for TN visa applications.
- Yates Memo: Rule Changes for Mexican TNs (01-08-04) - Guidance on elimination of numerical limit placed on Mexican citizens seeking TN status; of Labor Condition Application; and of I-129 petition requirements.
- DOS Memo: TN Visas for Mexican Citizens (01-04) - Revision of NAFTA Procedures for Mexican Citizens.
- Williams Memo: Sci/Tech Guidance (11-07-02) - Outlines five criteria for Sci/Tech TN visa applications.
- Pearson Memo: New Rules on TN Denials (05-25-01) - 1996 law eliminates opportunity for denied TN applicants to have hearing before judge. Options limited to withdrawal or expedited removal.
- Cronin Memo: Engineers & Degrees (07-24-00) - Explains that the Engineer TN category includes all specialties of engineers, including Software Engineers. Also states that only Hotel Manager requires specific degree; otherwise degree should be in the field or a closely related field.
- Coleman Memo: Denial of TN Application (07-14-00) - Discusses procedures inspectors should take during denial of application for TN visa status.
- Bach Memo: NAFTA Processing (10-20-99) – Updates to the Inspector’s Field Manual.
- LaFleur Letter: TNs & Green Cards (03-7-96) – Green card application based on employment by itself may not be sufficient grounds to deny admission under TN visa status.
- LaFleur Letter: TN for Canadian Company Owner (02-05-96) - Individual may obtain a TN based on contract for services between individual owner of Canadian company and U.S. company.
- Bednarz Letter: Software Engineers (05-15-95) - Individuals engaged in Software Engineering at a professional level may qualify for TN under Engineer category.
- Bednarz Letter: TN for Physicians (03-15-95) – Physicians may not engage in clinical, or direct, patient care under TN visa status.
- Bednarz Letter: Mergers/Acquisitions & Amended Petitions (09-10-93) – No filing required for TC visa workers (the predecessor to TN visas) transferred in company acquisition.
- INS Memo: Self-employment (08-23-93) – Individuals cannot obtain TC visa status (the predecessor to TN visas) where they will be self-employed in U.S. Reserves opinion on Canadian employers obtaining TC status to service multiple clients in U.S.
- Puleo Memo: Changes, Extensions & Adjustment (11-06-90) – Discussing changes and extensions of TC status (the predecessor to TN visas); and stating that law does not prohibit TC visa holders from filing for adjustment of status.
- McKinley Memo: Degrees (01-11-90) – Individuals with 3-year Canadian degrees may qualify for TC status (the predecessor to TN visas).
- Puleo Memo: Nurses, Management Consultants, Degrees, Change of Status & Family (10-04-89) – Discussing licensing issues for Nurses; Changing from L-1/H-1B visa status to a Management Consultant; and the inappropriateness of combining education and experience to meet the bachelor degree requirement.